- Published on Sunday, 08 July 2012 12:43
- Written by Angelos Giorgis
Limenaria are 42 km away from the capital. This is a seaside and tourist developed village, which began to develop in the early 20th century when there began to load minerals exploited the German company Speidel, offices housed in the "Palataki" which is an excellent example of fine architecture. The first inhabitants of Limenaria were workers from the village of Kastro, which over the years deserted. These were added in 1922 and refugees from Mikra Asia.
In one kilometer you will reach the neighboring village, Kalyvia, but because of rapid growth, it is almost united with Limenaria.
So, Limenaria considered as one of the most complete villages of Thassos, with hotels, rooms for rent, taverns and coffee-bars. In Limenaria there are also banks (National and Agricultural) and Post office.
Feature of the village is "Palataki" which is an imposing location and also the beach of Metallia.
At this point it would be remiss not to mention the Castle (Kastro), the oldest settlement on the island, which is located 10 km from Limenaria, but the road is quite rocky. The settlement is built at a height of 650 meters, stuck between the mountains and invisible from the sea. It flourished in the years that piracy dominated in the island while it was massy abandoned in the early 20th century when the inhabitants went to work in the mines of the German company Speidel and created Limenaria.
The village is dominated by two churches worth visiting. The first is the “Prophet Elijah” (“Profiti Ilia) and the second of St. Athanasios which is celebrated on January 18. That day is a big festival with “kourbani” and almost all houses that have been renovated in recent years by their owners and are used as holiday homes are filled. For nature lovers we strongly recommend to visit the two beautiful waterfalls located just outside the village, in a distance of about three kilometers.