- Published on Saturday, 01 June 2013 20:32
- Written by Angelos Giorgis
The monastery of the Archangel Michael is the only Mount Athos monastery left in Theologos. There are several legends about how the monastery was built. According to one of them in 1923, the church was built by a saint Luke ordered by the Archangel Michael.
However, until now it is not known the exact time the monastery was built, although the first official document referring to is in 1287 by Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos.
In place of the current monastery was built a small monastery and there are indications that the monastery was built in 1821. According to an engraved plaque that is in the area of the monastery in 1835 seems to have made some repairs or the completion of the building of the monastery.
Something that gave great thanks to the monastery is the image stored there with the Archangel Michael with a peace from Fair Nail; namely nails say from what Christ was crucified. For Thassians Archangel is very important and regard him as their patron, especially for residents of Theologos.
In October 1974 they reached the monastery 7 nuns and since then has been nunnery dependent spiritually from Filotheou monastery of Mount Athos.